How many sessions will I need?
We expect to see improvements within the first 6 sessions, in 85-90% of our patients.
The first 6 sessions take place over 2-3 weeks, providing rapid and effective results. After this first block of sessions, typically a patient would then be seen weekly, then fortnightly, monthly, then every 2 months etc, etc.
We don’t aim to provide you with countless and never-ending treatment sessions, instead we aim to provide you with the tools to manage your condition yourself.
Will this work for me?
We know that our technique will work for you, if our clinicians are able to reproduce your head pain with selective pressures through your upper neck. This happens in 85-90% of the patients that we see.
Once treatment has started, we expect to see improvements in 90% of our patients.
If there are no significant changes to your symptoms in the first 6 sessions, then we will cease treatment and find another option for you.
I’ve tried it all, how is this any different?
Most of our patients have tried all sorts of different things to resolve their headaches and migraines. They’ve tried physiotherapy, chiropractic care, massage, acupuncture, Botox and cortisone injections and a whole raft of different pain medications. The effects of all of these treatments is often short-lived.
At Gold Coast Headache & Migraine Clinic, we use the ‘Watson Headache Approach’, which is different to most other modalities you would have tried, in that it:
- Can reproduce the same head pain that you feel
- Treats the primary cause of your headaches or migraines
- Does not involve cracking or clicking any of the joints in your neck
- Leaves no doubt as to whether your neck is involved, or not
- Aims to decrease your medication-use, not increase it
- Provides a clear plan, through our Optimal Health4Life pathway
- Provides you with a way to self-manage your headache or migraine symptoms
- Our comprehensive assessment is used to see whether you are suitable for the treatment plan
Will the treatment last?
Yes, you can achieve long-term results, and you won’t have to receive treatments for the rest of your life. We aim to give you the knowledge and ability to self-manage your headaches and migraines. We will give you simple and specific techniques you can perform yourself, that will help you to stay headache and migraine free.
Will this fix my headaches and migraines?
In those who qualify for our treatment plan, approximately 85-90% of people, this will work to significantly reduce your headaches and migraines. A significant reduction to your headaches is possible, depending on how well you self-manage between treatment sessions and how well you carry our suggestions into your life. Most of our clients will tell us their symptoms are fully resolved, and will see us once or twice per year, for a check-up, much like they see their dentist.
What should I bring for my first session?
- Please arrive 10 minutes early, in order to fill out your personal details and read through some information regarding your first consultation
- Wear clothes that allow easy access to your neck. Singlets or T-shirts are preferable. Collared shirts may need to be removed in order to assess your neck accurately.
- Bring any scans, x-Rays or medical reports you may already have. These aren’t compulsory, but your clinician can help you to interpret their results
- Please bring a list of any medication you have taken for your headaches or migraines
- If you don’t have a headache diary, think about the following information, before your first appointment
- How frequently you experience your symptoms?
- Where exactly you experience your pain?
- What your triggers are? if you have them
- Information about any previous injuries to your neck or head
- A list of any direct family members who also experience headaches or migraines
Where can I find out more?
Go to our homepage to learn more about headaches and migraines, as well as to find information about our assessment, the treatment and the results that we expect.
Alternatively, call 1800HEADACHE to speak with one of our friendly reception staff about our services and how to make a booking. If it is easier, fill out our contact form, and we will be in touch soon.
If you would like to learn more specifically about the Watson Headache Approach, visit www.watsonheadache.com, the official website.
Call 1800HEADACHE today, and take the first steps towards a life free from headache